Pages

12.22.2012

A Clearance Sale, of the large variety...



{photo courtesy of Susan W. Patton Photography}
                         
For just over 6 years I've wondered what this day would look and feel like. *This day* being the day I put a check mark in the done column next to *owning my own successful retail shop* and move on to the next item on my bucket list.

Just over six years ago, I opened pepperberry's in the tiny town of New Wilmington, PA. I'd always been passionate about retail, and dreamed of owning my own shop. A shop like no other, that reflected my taste, my ideas, and my standards. I set out to build a brand, and target a market that I felt was being overlooked. The experience I had gained from owning my interior design business, along with my competitive nature and the entrepreneurial spirit that looms large in me provided the backbone I needed for this challenge.

My vision was an eclectic mix of mid to high-end home accessories and gifts with a European, farmhouse, industrial vibe. My attention to detail, use of clever, creative merchandising and being on the cutting edge of social media marketing would play key roles.  I would be a hands on shopkeeper and happily embrace all that being a specialty retail boutique offers. True to form, I jumped in with both feet, and you were right behind me!  You supported me by spreading the word to other like minded shoppers and year after year my customer base grew and sales increased. Expansions became a necessity, and national recognition by industry trade magazines was attained. Believe me when I say, I have had the time of my life!

 I have never taken my success in this industry for granted, thanking God every day that I have had the luxury of doing something I am so passionate about for as long as I have wanted to. That's the key right there. I am a huge fan of controlling my own destiny. I have worked very, very hard to make wise decisions and choices so that I could keep playing this *game* of retail for as long as I wanted. Even during the recent economic downturn, I was able to find creative ways to grow and was not afraid to take a risk. Every two years I managed to expand and reinvent pepperberry's in visibly substantial, and very successful ways. In 2009, pepperberry's gained national attention from a premiere industry trade publication Home Accents Today, as one of the "50 Retail Stars", and just a few weeks ago, Gifts and Decorative Accessories named pepperberry's as one of the "25 Gifted Retailers of 2012". It is such an honor to be included in both of these elite groups. These achievements surpassed all the hopes and dreams I ever had for my little shop and I view them as feathers in my retail cap.   

 I knew from the beginning that this was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life, yet I did not have a time frame or end date in mind. My goal every year was the same, to stay in the black, be open minded, and let the business lead me in whatever direction it may. As I said before, it was every two years that I'd been able to change it up, and well, it's been two years since the last directional shift. What may come as a surprise to you, is that the direction I'm being pulled in, right now, seems to be back home. Home to my nest, to cook, to clean, to reconnect as a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, and aunt with those who have supported and encouraged me the most, in ways that enabled me to indulge in my passion and be the retailer I wanted/needed to be. It was, at times, exhausting and all-consuming and they willingly took a back seat to it and pitched in to pick up the slack at home and up here.  My husband, my kids, parents, sisters, brothers, nieces, not only know my heart, they know my soul. I owe so much of my success to them and I thank them with all my heart.

 My decision to close has nothing to do with any of the usual reasons that businesses close {I can assure you, I still have new customers coming in the door, and I will not be looking forward to income tax season again!}, and has everything to do with being ready for something new. I've repurposed and reinvented many, many things in the last six years and now it's time to reinvent myself. Those of you who know me well, know that I thrive on change. It spurs my creativity and energizes me. Having said that though, I'll probably sleep for the first 6 months or so, maybe take a vacation, definitely get my house in order and  put it on the market, and hopefully buy and redecorate a new home.  And then, who knows? I can tell you, I have a couple other new business ventures up my sleeve that I would love to explore, so we'll see!  Really cool ideas!

I'm a tracker. I've tracked everything you can imagine in an effort to be prepared, change courses if and when necessary and minimize surprises. Not a fan of surprises! However, through all the calculated buying, forecasting, marketing etc., there has been one *surprise* that caught me off guard. One I really hadn't even considered. The biggest surprise of all has been the wonderful and meaningful relationships that have grown out of getting to know all of you, my loyal customers, and new found friends. Yes, you {customers} generally speaking, are always the most important element of the success of a retail business with every purchase you make, but beyond just shopping here, you let me into your lives. You gave me, through pepperberry's, the opportunity to help you celebrate and commemorate your milestones, as well as those of your friends and loved ones. We've shared many laughs and felt each others pain. You've always been very generous in your giving and your loyalty to pepperberry's has not gone unnoticed. Thank you.  I will miss you, and treasure the memories forever. You made it fun for me to do what I did, and I will forever be grateful for that opportunity.

 I want to express my heartfelt thanks to my shopgirls, Betsy, Janet and Diane who put up with me, and worked as diligently as if it was their own shop. I am, admittedly, not the easiest person to work for. I'm a control freak and my please and thank you's are not always spoken aloud. They quickly understood the significance of doing things the *pepperberry's way* was not just to make me happy, but more importantly to protect and preserve the integrity of my brand. They were loyal and dependable and represented pepperberry's well. 

 My deepest gratitude also goes to my behind the scenes creative team, namely Rebecca Snyder, my graphics guru, my photographer Susan W. Patton, and Terri Lohman, my very good friend first, and VB sales rep. second.  You are remarkably creative hardworking women who read my mind, know my needs and capture my essence in the name of branding and twirling ideas. You've made my life easier in so many ways and you inspire me beyond belief. You've enriched my brand and my life and it has been a privilege to work with you.

Although I feel the time is right to reinvent myself, believe me, it has not been void of emotion.  I don't believe in second guessing and I knew I needed to make the decision before the heady rush of the holiday season would cloud things.  As a retailer, you work so hard all year so that November and December are successful. It's no secret that 4th quarter is the most important quarter...so important, that most retailers including me, start planning for it in January. I have said before that I never take it for granted, and it's magical when the results are tangible. This year has been no different. I love the magic, the pace and the intensity of crunch time.  I have shed more than a few tears, especially as the time draws nearer. My emotions are running high and are all over the place.  There's a sense of pride and accomplishment that I did it and did it well, which usually leads into disbelief and astonishment and then immediately on to the humbling recognition and acknowledgement that this was all part of God's plan for my life, to whom I give thanks for the gifts with which He has blessed me. There's a heaviness in my heart for the void that will inevitably be felt, yet a twinkle in my eye for the possibilities of what lies ahead for me!

And so, I tip my retail hat to all of you, my customers, shopgirls and creative team, and raise a glass of cheer, as has become a custom for our many events. When I say "we're serving champagne", you say "we'll be there" and so, I find it only fitting, to pop a few corks one last time and celebrate together the liquidation event of this fine little shop called pepperberry's.
DETAILS:

This is an everything must go sale! Every piece of jewelry, every stick of furniture, every handbag, tote and wallet, every sheet of tissue paper!
 Store wide reductions of 30% off {50% off Christmas}, and you, my VIP customers, are getting a well deserved 2 day head start AND a sip of bubbly before it opens to the general public! That means you'll have the best selection of what's sure to be a fast and furious, bare to the bones sell off, and yes, the champagne will be flowing on those 2 days only!
{Please note that I will be closed between Christmas and New Year's to prepare!}

 Fine print details...in large print so that we're all clear:
All sales are final. No holds, returns, refunds, exchanges, or store credits. No gift wrapping, shipping or delivery. Gift cards/store credits must be redeemed by the end of January.

Hours beginning January 2nd:
 Mon - Fri: 10 - 5, Sat: 10 - 4
There will be no February hours.

  And so, off to my nest...at least for a while...there have been pools started within my family as to how long it will take before I get bored and am ready for my next adventure! It's fun to think about!  Will it be an Airstream that doubles as a food truck? A creperie..{did you know there's a crepe school in Bethesda, MD....and there are crepe CARTS!!!!}?  I'm kind of being led, and very attracted to the hospitality industry these days....and a certain greenhouse...shhhhh {hubby's not on board with that idea}!  "Nesting" lends itself well to the hospitality industry, you know!  I love being led! I love the  process of how it unfolds and reveals itself to me! I'm so tuned in to it...that's just how I roll!  I'll let you know where I land...just in case you want to come along! I hope you will.

See you Jan 2nd and 3rd,
laurie.


 

6 comments:

  1. Very very sad for us, happy for you! See you soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sara! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little bit in tears over this!! You are where I go for the most special gifts! Congratulations on all you have accomplished and good luck with all your future endeavors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jamie! I'm a little bit in tears over this too, if it makes any of you feel any better. I truly appreciate knowing pberry's was your "go to". Thanks so much.

      Delete
  4. Super sad day for us all! Loved Loved Loved PBerrys :( Why why why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" Dr. Seuss. That's the quote I used on the fb post. Thanks for being such a good, loyal customer.

      Delete