Pages

10.12.2012

The scary month of October


Yep, scary. That's the word for it...not in the witches, skeletons, haunted house, graveyard, Halloween kind of way though.  More like, the open house is still 3 weeks away and I'm tired of how my showroom looks and the only new merchandise is holiday merchandise and can't go out yet, kind of way!  I always thought that getting new product in here all the time was for all of you, but October reminds me that it's really for me, so that I don't get bored. So I don't get that itch!  I don't do bored well...makes me really itchy!

Don't get me wrong...there's lots to do. The elves and I are busy unpacking the holiday merchandise, checking on backorders, placing last minute orders, pre-wrapping gift giving goodies and other behind the scenes tricks, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a little tired of the current floor set!  That's another reason I don't put the holiday merchandise out before my open house {the first weekend in November}.  I can't stand to look at it for that long!

The funny thing is, so many people come in here asking for it starting in September, but invariably the first person in the door at open house is a newbie, who walks in the door and is absolutely appalled that we have holiday merchandise out so EARLY, and they are not shy about telling me!  "You retailers always rush the season. It's not even Thanksgiving, blah, blah, blah...!

Call me crazy, but I need to change up my space... often, and when I can't do it here, look out!  My husband is the victim of a relentless barrage of "let's knock out this wall", "let's build a house", and other major, off the wall, lofty daydreaming! Then he's the one who's scared because he knows that I like *big* projects, and I tend to jump in with both feet.  The scarier / riskier the better.  I love a challenge and I'm very competitive. 

Yesterday I needed it to be today.  I had to speak at a luncheon and although it went well, I just had not been looking forward to doing it.  Yesterday morning, I needed to be on the other side of the luncheon, couldn't wait. Now that it's today, I need it to be Oct. 28th, the day I lock myself in here to flip, and twirl, and mix this place up for the holiday season!  As much as I don't like to wish away the days, that's where I find myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment