Pages

9.20.2012

W is for...

{Part 23 in the abc's series.  Click here, then scroll down to read previous posts!}

WINDOW BOXES!

In the 6 years that I've been in business, I've changed out the window boxes 24 times!  With the exception of the summer plantings, and the spring 2012 design (which stayed in through the summer), I have always tried to come up with something different to keep them interesting.  Believe me when I tell you that, one of the drawbacks to my expansion in 2010 was that instead of having 2 window boxes, I was now going to have 5!  I will admit that finding the time to create and install 5 boxes has been a challenge!  The people closest to me know this and live with me through each seasonal change and are as happy as I am when the design has been determined, executed and installed!  Sometimes it comes right down to the wire, after a lot of fretting and thinking and googling and crying and fussing and hoping... all in the name of INSPIRATION! 
 
This year's fall boxes happened exactly that way!  I had a couple of ideas, but nothing that I was really excited about. In all honesty, one of my ideas was so bad, my sister even said "really, you'll be happy with that?".  I knew in my mind I wouldn't be, but I just wanted to be done and *IT* wasn't happening!  I settled on just filling them with an assortment of pumpkins and gourds in the traditional oranges and yellows {which was not the idea my sister was questioning, btw}.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but had run out of time and evidently, talent!  So, off I went to the Amish farm to get the assortment I needed...fine. done. check it off my list. so there. hummppphhhh.
 
Imagine my surprise when I get out of my van and see the goose gourds and white pumpkins...and kale....and it all came together... in pepperberry's fashion. The angels sang, trumpets sounded, and my heart was happy!  I live for that feeling. The feeling of feeling in sync and spot on with pepperberry's and all that pepperberry's is. Here are some pictures of just some of the window boxes through the years!
I wish I was talented enough to paint blue eyes with long lashes on them and give them a little lipstick and maybe a pretty little scarf....but they are coming out in about 5 weeks, so I've moved on.  I already know what the holiday boxes will have in them, so I'm ahead of the game a little, and it won't be so traumatic! 
 
Ahhh!  Remember this little place?!  So fun to see it like this!  I love outside spaces and this entry was really fun to dress.  The summer boxes always had impatiens and vinca in them.  So pretty. 
 

These holiday / winter boxes were one of the all time favorites.  Made from bicycle tires that I wired together and sprayed with snow.  It's always a plus when the holiday window boxes are also the winter boxes....I have no choice really.  Whatever I put in there ends up freezing and I can't get it out til March anyway! 
Here we have fall using a combo of live plants, cattails, and gourds on straw.  Just nice.

This was a really fun one!  A root ball turned upside down to make a scary bare tree for fall.  I like using dead plant material! 

 
Finally, SPRING!  Pansies are always a no brainer, but what else to amp it up?  A floral wreath made from faucet knobs.  My own personal collection of faucet knobs have come in handy at pepperberry's.  I think before I used them on the wreath forms, I had them scattered through displays. 
 
They presently are sewn on to the bottoms of my window awnings as fringe!  I love seeing them everyday.

 
Another fall idea.  I love the fresh berries. I bought them in bunches and just laid them in there.  Easy install on this one!
 
And then, of course, the china flowers for spring that were the winning entry in the one and only window box design contest here at pepperberry's!  It was the only time I did not do the window boxes myself, but would have, had the entries not been up to my standards.  This entry was above and beyond! 
 
I hope you enjoyed seeing some of these again.  I feel very strongly about what goes in these.  They have the very important task of representing what we are about.  They are pepperberry's first impression, and I am mindful that you only get one chance to make a good first impression! 
Welcome to pepperberry's!
 

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment