Pages

9.07.2012

Q is for...

{Part 17 in the abc's series. Click here, then scroll down to read previous posts!}



QUESTIONS!

and answers!
Wow!  So many questions! This post kept me up late last night and got me up early this morning!  Some of the questions were asked by more than 1 person, so if you don't see your exact wording, it's because I used a question similar to yours!  So, here we go, you asked!

Q:  How did you get started in this business, and why did you choose New Wilmington as your location?
 A: I had worked in several retail stores off and on over the years, and actually married into a family that owns a retail store. I love retail and am passionate about it.  I've held many positions {all part time while I was raising my kids} including answering phones, bookwork, sales, buying, and display work...and I've had many bosses!  I also have an interest / flare in interior design, and the last job I had, before opening my business, was a part time position in an interior design studio, where I learned the tricks of the trade from one of the best designers in the business! When she retired in 2003, I bought her business, and worked out of my home, where I could set my own hours, be my own boss, and still be a mom, first and foremost.  I carried my own fabric lines, and wallpaper lines, and offered a full menu of services ranging from pre-construction consultations, to fabrication and installation of window treatments, as well as providing furnishing and accessorizing services. It was when my youngest was nearing high school graduation {early 2006} that I started dreaming about breaking out of my house and carrying an inventory of accessories that I knew I could "place" in my clients homes. I had been doing a lot of accessorizing and was having to go to Pitts or Cleveland to find what I was looking for.  The shops around here were missing a market...that was the market I was going to target!  The quest for a showroom began. I decided to look for a space in New Wilmington after ruling out New Castle {too close to hubby's store}, Hermitage, Boardman, and Cranberry {all to far}! Besides, I have a history here. I worked in NW in the early 80's when the building I currently occupy, housed a shop called The Carriage Trade, owned by Lucille Sommerfeld! I loved Lucille, and admired her entrepreneurial spirit. She was a risk taker and full of spunk! I had such fun working for her. In Aug. 2006, I was moving my daughter into her college dorm, when my realtor called and told me she found a space for me to consider and, sure enough, it turned out to be this old building where I had worked years before.  I felt like I had come full circle!  I signed the lease Sept. 5, 2006  and opened my doors for business Oct. 21st! It was that fast!  I had 2 goals, stay in the black, and keep an open mind and let the business lead me. Gotta say, I've always been in the black and, I love where it's taken me! 

Q: How did you come up with the name pepperberry's?
A: I bought an interior design business in 2003, but the name was not included in the purchase. I had to come up with my own, and Pepperberry Interiors was the first thing that came in to my head. That's my legal business name, I shortened it when I went into retail in an effort to eliminate any stigma and/or limitations that came with the word "Interiors".  That's the reason it's spelled with the possessive apostrophe S, rather than the plural IES.

Q: Where did you go to college and what was your major?
A: College was not for me!  I graduated from Neshannock High School and got a job. It has worked for me, but I would not recommend foregoing college these days.

Q: What color nail polish do you wear?
A: I get this question at least once a month so I'm not surprised by it!  I've worn Cajun Shrimp by OPI for years!

Q:  Where do you get everything in pepperberry's?
A:  I get this question a lot as well!  I buy from vendors that sell only "to the trade", meaning you have to have certain credentials. Twice a year I go to gift shows, or markets, where all the vendors have booths. I always go to NYC in Jan. and then I pick one of the summer markets to go to.  I mix it up. I've been to High Point, Atlanta, Dallas, and Chicago. Between shows, I buy from the vendors catalogs, and /or from sales reps. 

Q: How do you choose what to buy?
A: There's a lot of product out there, but weeding out comes easily to me because... I buy what I like {which is really not usually recommended, btw!}...for a couple reasons.  One, my target market and I have the same taste, and two, if it doesn't sell, I may have to take it home, so it better be something I love!  Quantities are the trickiest part of buying for me.  I try not to order anything too deep, I like to change it up and keep it fresh.

Q:  What is the newest coming in from John Wind?
A:  The John Wind Fall Collection will be arriving mid Sept. and will include his new line of Inspired Initials.  Chunky letters with a word etched on the side expressing a sentiment or attitude. I had done a blog post featuring John Wind and the newest collection not too long ago. Click here to read it, and see the new initials, and the chart of what each initial stands for! 

Q: How do we justify buying one of each of your have to have it finds?
A:  This is a tricky one! If you mean justifying purchases to your husband, you may be on your own!  I did more than my fair share of marriage counseling with my interior design clients! Justifying it to yourself doesn't exist in my world!  Free yourself of that mindset and go for it!  {I may have flunked this one...sorry!}

Q: Do you have any stories about your customers that you can share?
A:  Without mentioning any names, sure!  I have some favorites, but the first one that comes to mind is the day one of my really good, regular customers came running in (literally, RUNNING IN) and said, "Why am I here? My phone alarm went off and said "go to pepperberry's", so I dropped everything I was doing and came in"!  We were having an event and evidently she put it on her phone calendar so she'd remember!  So funny!  Still makes me laugh!

Q: How do you think the new Vera Bradley Outlet Store will effect you?
A:  Good question! What people don't realize is that the outlet store only carries RETIRED pieces.  I don't deal in retired product except for what's in my inventory when they retire it.  It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out, but the people who shop the outlets are generally not my clientele.  My clientele want to buy the newest and most current styles and patterns...and they want it gift wrapped!  Another interesting development is that Country Clutter, located at the outlets, has dropped the Vera Bradley line and that could work in my favor!  We are now the only VB retailer north of New Castle that sells new product.

Q: Other than pepperberry's, what is YOUR favorite place to shop? 
A: I love going in other shops when I have free time or am traveling. A few of my regular haunts are Toadflax in Shadyside, Terrain in Glen Mills, PA, and Anthropologie stores everywhere.  I also like Arhaus Furniture Stores and Outside Inspirations in Wexford, PA.  There are lots of shops I follow on fb. Does that count?

Q: What does it mean when you say you've been "approved" to carry a line {like the new Alex and Ani bracelets}?
A:  It means that I couldn't just place an opening order with the vendor and send it in. You have to go through an application process and submit specific information, like financial records, what your sales are, how many square feet your store is, what other lines you carry, etc.  Some lines even want you to send pictures of your store inside and out! And then you wait to hear back! Most of those lines are zip code protected so other nearby retailers can't get the line once you have it. It's a lot of work, but worth it.  Some of the other lines I carry that I needed to be approved for are Vera Bradley, and Sid Dickens.  I can tell you, that a couple years ago I was turned down for Brighton!  I will also tell you, I'm going through the process again right now for a line that I'm not ready to reveal just yet! 

So, there you have it!  Thanks so much for asking!  The response was more than I imagined, and I truly appreciate your interest!  

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment