Pages

8.16.2012

G is for...

{Part 7 in the abc's series.  Click here, then scroll down to see previous posts}

Guesswork!


When it comes right down to it, buying merchandise for a retail shop is all about guesswork.  Sometimes I guess right, and sometimes I guess wrong. It's especially tricky buying for the Holiday season.  Have I ever told you that before?  Yes, my least favorite season to buy for is Christmas, the busiest season of all.  Why is that, you ask?

The rest of the year, I buy home accessories, some gifty things, and anything else that comes down the pike and peaks my interest, freely...pretty much whatever I want, without putting a whole lot of thought into it.  I go by my gut, and rely on my tried and true method: if I like it, maybe someone else will.  Holiday buying is different.  Not only do I have to like it, but, I have to think of what would make a nice hostess gift, teacher gift, book club exchange gift, son's girlfriend gift, employee gift....etc. I have to think of what would be a good $20 gift, $50 gift, $100 gift, and stocking stuffers.  It's all about categories and price points. The assortment has to be broad and, for the most part, different than anything I've ever carried before. And then there are the decorations and statement pieces, that become the theme of the holiday open house event and, evoke the vibe and vision in my head {I like that part of it...watching it unfold and evolve and reveal itself to me}.  It always comes together, but I'll admit that it makes me question my sanity at times!

Holiday buying = guesswork on steriods! It's unnerving, and starting in August, when the merchandise I ordered starting in January starts rolling in, my head starts to spin, and ringing in my ears is that same familiar *song* from previous years.  It goes like this:

Is it the right merchandise, the right mix, the right price, is there enough, too much, will anyone like it, will I get it set up in time, will it look like the picture in my head, will anyone *get it*....will I ever sleep all night again???????????   It'll be fine.
Repeat 10,000 times a day.
Count down to open house is not always pretty.
Who would have guessed?!

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment